Marketing Real Property Through Probate, Trust or Conservatorship
Real property owned by the Estate is often the largest asset within the Estate/Trust. The marketing and sale should be handled by an experienced real estate agent that specializes in Probate/Trust, and has a thorough knowledge of the process, timelines, and required documentation. See the Probate Process page for more information.
Selling Court Supervised Real Property
While precision is central to every real estate transaction, selling court supervised real property takes more than simply placing it in the Multiple Listing Service (MLS), posting a sign and holding open houses. Those steps are important, of course, but I have found successful marketing begins with smart pre-sale preparations and proper pricing, and by advertising an initial Offer Date which has created a bidding frenzy. When court confirmation in needed we continue to market and show the property to attract overbid buyers.
With more than three decades of experience & 300+ probate, trust and conservatorship sales, our Team has succeeded in even the most challenging market conditions. In 2021, when most of the real estate market was recovering from the Covid slow down, our team sold 54 properties. 51 sold over asking with multiple offers.
Marketing the Property
Here are some of the steps that attracted buyers and outstanding results for sellers (naturally, our marketing of any property takes into consideration the needs and preferences of the seller and may vary from this list).
- Aggressive Pricing that will attract the maximum number of qualified buyers.
- Extensive on-line advertising in over 70 countries
- Professional photos and in addition to the Multiple Listing Service
- Multi-photo 3D tours
- Property website
- Your property will appear on hundreds of local, regional, national and worldwide websites including: Realtor.com, NewYourTimes.com, Yahoo.com, Zillow.com, Facebook, Wallstreetjournal.com, Trulia.com, Fang.com, SFProbates.com, SFRealEstate.Rocks, Homes.com, etc.
- Advertise an agreed to offer date creating bidding frenzy.
- The property will be listed with the Super Regional Greater Bay Area Multiple Listing Service.
- Property information will be shared with local and national relocation companies.
- Post For Sale sign on property with our direct number.
- Provide easy but secured access to vacant properties
- Counsel agents and prospective buyers on the probate offer and court confirmation process.
- Provided a complete disclosure package, and detailed offer instructions to agents and their buyers.
- Hold broker open house for agents and their buyers.
- Hold public evening and weekend open houses.
- Mail flyers to the surrounding community announcing the listing so they can pass along the information to their friends, family and associates.
- Email Offering Memorandum to 2000+ local agent
- Arrange showings for Agents and their prospective buyers if the property is occupied. (An appointment will be set within 24 hours of a request to view the property.
- Monitor disclosure package requests
- Follow up with all showings to get feedback and to answer questions.
- Once an offer has been accepted and a court date set, continue showing the property to attract overbidders.
- Amend Offer Instructions with Court Date and Overbid Instructions.
- Update overbid information online and in the MLS.
- Send Court Date and Overbid Instructions to all parties that requested a disclosure package.
- Counsel real estate agents on how to present an overbid in probate court, or via Zoom
- Maintain frequent communication with the seller and attorney throughout transaction.
- Work closely with attorneys, and personal representatives to assure that the appropriate probate paperwork and necessary publishing dates are in line with the locale probate code.
- Open escrow and track progress.
- Anticipate and solve problems before they cause delays.
- Close escrow.
For more than 30 years, we have specialized in the sale of real property through probate, trust, and conservatorship. Our practical approach, and custom marketing strategies have consistently generated multiple offers resulting in properties selling well over the asking price.